Thursday, August 5, 2010

Maple Beer (Round 2)

My absolute best beer I've made so far was my 6th brew, a maple beer.  It was so popular it went quick and I had to horde the last few bottles. (Of which I only have 3 left!)  It turned out to be a very smooth drinking amber beer with a maple after taste and very little hop notes.  After several weeks in the bottle it is as clear as a commercial beer.

This weekend I am going to brew round two of this recipe.  I am making two changes to the recipe (which I originally got from the BYO May/June issue)  I am adding more maple syrup, (25 oz instead of 17 oz) but only half of it to the boil, the other half I am going to add to the secondary to try to get a more prevalent maple taste.  Also I am adding slightly more Liquid Malt Extract for simplicity (6.6 lbs instead of 5.8 lbs).

Here is my recipe:

Malt:
6.6 Lbs Golden light LME

Grains:
1 Lb Toasted Pale Malt 2.2L 6 Row
8 oz Crystal Malt 20L

Hops:
1 oz Cluster (60 Min)
1 oz Willamette (15 min)

Yeast:
Safale US-05 American Style Dry Yeast

Adjunct:
1 Tbls Irish Moss (15 min)
12.5 oz Pure Maple Syrup (60 min)
12.5 oz Pure Maple Syrup (Secondary) (15 min)

**For priming: 1/2 Cup Priming Sugar 1/4 cup maple syrup**

EDIT:  I decided to put the second half of the maple in the wort in the last 15 minutes at the advice of reddit.com/r/homebrewing

2 comments:

  1. be sure to do a followup on the differences between your 1st and second batches...curious to see how it comes out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. one additional question...where are you finding this grain for steeping? - 1 Lb Toasted Pale Malt 2.2L 6 Row

    i've looked everywhere online for it and i can't find it. are you just buying regualar malt used for mashing and then just toasting it yourself?

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete