Friday, August 6, 2010

Making Absinthe

Absinthe became "legal" in the United States a few years ago.  I put the word "legal" in quotes because the law limits the amount of thujone (the chemical from wormwood) in absinthe.  HOWEVER, wormwood is legal to buy in the US, and there is nothing stopping you from making your own absinthe.

Making spirits is significantly different than making beer, however I have found that any alcohol over 151 proof can be used to make absinthe.  Everclear seems to be best because there is no flavoring, so... I got two bottles of everclear and two ounces of wormwood. :)

I started soaking the wormwood in the everclear Wed. and the liquor has already changed from clear to dark green.  Yes, those are boobs on a plaque in the back ground.  It was a birthday gift, and it looks good in my brewery, which is somewhat of a 'man cave'.

I am going to soak the wormwood for 5 days then remove the absinthe and add:


Two tablespoon fennel seeds
Two tablespoon Dalmatian sage
Two teaspoon spearmint

One teaspoon coriander seeds

One half teaspoon caraway seeds

One Quarter Teaspoon cardomon pods

I'll soak that for 4 more days and then remove and the absinthe is ready to drink.  More updates to come...

2 comments:

  1. Everclear? That stuff is like turpentine with the same effects! I thought Everclear was banned... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not in all states, I got the 190 proof in wyoming and 151 proof in west virginia.

    ReplyDelete